Monday, August 16, 2010

Seventeen Prisoners in the Infinite Loneliness of Solitude: A Letter by Zhila Baniyaghoub




Seventeen Prisoners in the Infinite Loneliness of Solitude: A Letter by Zhila Baniyaghoub


August 16, 2010

Zhila Baniyaghoub is a journalist and women's rights activist

Zhila Baniyaghoub, the wife of political prisoner Bahman Ahmad Amouie, wrote an open letter to recognize the ‘hunger strike’ prisoners who remain detained in solitary confinement in ward 240 of Evin. Journalist and political prisoner Keyvan Samimi continues his hunger strike after more than 20 days. According to reports, Samimi plans to not break his strike until he and his fellow prisoners are transferred out of solitary confinement.

Seventeen Prisoners in the Infinite Loneliness of Solitude


Translation Neda Shayesteh for Persian2English

Bahman, twenty days have passed by and you are still detained in solitary confinement. But this is not a long time for you and me anymore. Last year you spent all three months of the summer in solitary confinement. You didn’t even complain about it after at long last we saw each other again. Instead, you filled me in on the great experiences you gained during your isolation. It was as if you couldn’t experience the ultimate loneliness of solitary confinement anywhere else in the world.

You told me that you had the chance to look back at your life in the darkness of your cell, which made you feel lighter. You said that by reviewing your life you came to the conclusion that you should become kinder, more patient, more tolerant, and most importantly, you made the decision to seek forgiveness from those you have offended, no matter how minor the case. You said you want to love those who oppose you. You said these words despite the fact that your friends, colleagues, and family members already know you as patient.

Considering this, why would twenty days in prison be difficult for you? I am certain that the next time I see you, you will talk about your isolation as calm as one can be. I know you will tell me that you needed the period of solitude. I know you will hold back your tears and tell me that the only problem was that you missed me so much. And as always I will tell you to not be so sensitive!

My darling Bahman, last year around this time, you and many of your close friends were detained in solitary confinement. Later I found out that you and many other prisoners who were arrested after the election had fasted throughout your time in solitary confinement. I heard that even the investigators wondered how any of you were able to tolerate the long summer days from your cramped cells.

I know you are strong but I am worried about you. I know that you didn’t eat or drink for two weeks, and now after this two-week long hunger strike, I wonder how you cope with the horrible prison food!

Yesterday someone wrote a piece for you and all your friends on a blog:

“A light is turned on for fear of loneliness. Our courageous friends are alone in solitary confinement. Let us turn on a light. Our beloved confined friends, these sixteen brave compatriots have been lost for twenty days now. They are in our sight and they are crying to us, but we don’t see or hear them. We must turn on a light. Turn on a light and go after the lost ones.”

He suggested that we all turn on a light in memory of all of you who spend your days in the loneliness of ward 240 of Evin prison.

Zhila Baniyaghooub

No comments:

Post a Comment